If you want to look great and feel healthy you have to work at it. That generally requires a vigorous exercise routine combined with a well balanced diet. To lose weight with treadmills and trim down you need to burn calories on a regular basis on a machine that is durable and reliable. Of all the various types of fitness equipment that are available on the market, the treadmill is still the most reliable.
Exercise really is a numbers game. The more time you spend doing cardiovascular exercises on a treadmill and trying to lose weight the more calories you are going to burn and the more weight you will lose. And if you are looking for fitness equipment that will get the maximum burn, then a treadmill should be at the top of your list.
According to a study done by the Medical College of Wisconsin and the VA Medical Center in Milwaukee, calories burned on the treadmill for 60 minutes averaged 865 – 705.
This compares to:
- Stair machine 746 – 637
- Rowing machine 739 – 606
- Stationary cycle 604 – 556
- Cross-country ski machine 678 – 595
This is one of numerous studies, including one by the American Medical Association, that rank a treadmill as the number one cardiovascular machine to lose weight with treadmills. There are several other important factors that make treadmill exercising so practical:
- Either Run or Walk – The two most popular forms of exercising are running and walking. Set the speed and incline to suite your desired cardiovascular goals.
- Avoid Bad Weather – A treadmill can guarantee a consistent workout in all seasons. If you live in a cold climate, freezing temperatures and snow will not disrupt your workout.
- Low Impact – For walkers and runners alike, injuries are common from the constant pounding of joints on asphalt and concrete. Particularly higher end treadmills offer surfaces that absorb impact and reduce pressure.
- Versatility – As treadmills become more sophisticated so does the versatility of the workout. Speed and incline have always been a feature on motorized treadmills, but now your workout is enhanced by a variety of preprogrammed computerized exercises.
- Choosing a Treadmill – Treadmills come in all shapes and sizes, including folding and stationary models. It is important to find just that right model that accommodates your present and future exercise goals. You can research on the Internet through articles and reviews both on and offline.